Calderini, Guglielmo

Name: Calderini, Guglielmo
Gender: male
Birth: 1837 Perugia
Death: 1916 Roma
Description: Guglielmo Calderini was an Italian architect and writer. By the turn of the century, he was regarded as the leading exponent of a style that fused the ancient, Renaissance and Baroque architecture of Rome with the social and aesthetic needs of a unified Italian people. He studied engineering at the University of Turin under Carlo Promis and received a diploma in architectural engineering at Rome, before working in Perugia for nine years. Throughout his career, Calderini frequently entered competitions for civic works, demonstrating sensitivity to the integration of historic and contemporary elements in both design and building techniques, as shown in his college (1879) at Nocera Umbra, and the completion of Savona's 16th-century cathedral (1880-86). His Palazzo delle Belle Arti (begun 1880; destr. during World War II) in Turin, Palazzo di Giustizia (1882-1910) in Rome and Palazzo Comunale (begun 1910) in Messina, along with his numerous, handsomely executed competition designs, chronicle the exuberant, revivalist spirit of the new Kingdom of Italy. He participated in the Exposition of Turin 1911 with the design of the Pavilion of Postal and Telegraph Ministry.
Structures: Plus Pavilion of the Telegraph,Telephone and Postal Services Ministry
Places: Plus Roma
Plus Perugia